Amphawa floating market history
Let’s get to know more about city
Amphawa is one district in Samutsongkam province, which is now a day is a smallest district in Thailand. During Ayutthaya kingdom, there was less people live in. After the kingdom defeat Myanmar, there is more people moved here since the location in proper for plantation. The local grow coconut and mango plantation since the pass till now. Later on, Lychee and grapefruit also grow in this area. The area is flat and low land and has plenty of water. There are over 6 main canals connect to the Mea klong river before going to the ocean. Amphawa was a river port which has visitors come to trade and by fruits, vegetable and sea products . The city was renown as three water city which consist of freshwater, saltwater, and brackish water suitable for salt farming and fruit orchards as a way of life along the traditional riverside. In addition, the riverside community of Amphawa received cultural conservation award from UNESCO.
Amphawa floating market location
Check where is close by area
- North, connect with Bang Khonthi District
- South contact with Thung Nam Samut War
- East contact with Khao Yoi district and Ban Laem district (Phetchaburi province)
- West contact with Pak Tho District and Wat Phleng District (Ratchaburi Province)
Amphawa water market
Let’s get deeper in as an Amphawa floating market Insider
The Amphawa floating market is similar to other market in term of food variety ? I would say Yes and NO.
The answer is NO since the Amphawa floating market has differing ambiance from other places. There are no floating market open at night and connect with local community and long river as Amphawa. The answer is YES because, you may find many foods similar to market in Bangkok. But for sure, you can not find many creative dishes as Amphawa offer. Check this out.
- Khanomjeab – pork dumpling
- Ice cream in Thai flavors such as Durian, Lodchong (coconut milk in green jelly ) ,Thai ice tea, coconut flavors, mango and Thai chilly , guava and plum source – and top with popcorn. You name it all the weird things that you ever want to try.
- Hoy shell yang cheese, which comes with various kinds of topping
- Ice cream with toasted inside the Thai ice tea. Sounds yummy right.
Highlight, enjoy things in oldie style such as a plate You may also try to eat some fish or noodle inside the boat which is so much fun to do. Seasonal fruit is highly recommended. Rose Apple , Lynchee are grown in the area. Coconut juice is a wonderful refreshment. Anyone love seafood product , Amphawa is a best place to buy. This girl made wonderful Youtube about Amphawa in Thai language. Yep, it is very nice in Thai and it is so cute the way she talk and see thing. She is an ice cream and dessert lover. Check out for more detail.
Connect with people at Amphawa
Going with our guide, language is not a problem. This is a good chance to connect to the local and embrace with Amphawa and food culture as local people.
Amphawa floating market opening hours
Date of open : Fri , Sat , Sun Time : Recommend time to visit from 15:00-22:00
Travel to Amphawa Floating Market
Amphawa floating market is an interesting destination for a weekend . Anyone who visits Bangkok can go there since it is just 1.3 hours away.
Local Transport to Amphawa
Akamai bus station – Take bus to Mea Klong or Samotth songkram MorChit Bus station – go to bus sale office 211 – Bus to meaklong – 90 THB / person
Bangkok – Mahachai //Tachalom Meaklong – Start from Wongwian Yai station. It may take 3-4 hours to reach there. But on the way back, recommend to travel by bus. Check http://www.railway.co.th/ – 02-465-2017 , 02-890-6260
Take highway 325 on the way to Damnornsaduak Make a left before at Amphawa district
– Amphawa water market which run in evening which is so good since it is not hot. – Various of food at snack are await for you to taste since it is in expensive and has wild variety